Banns of Marriage

It is a legal requirement that your banns of marriage are published before you get married.  This means the Church publishes your intent to marry so that anyone who knows of a genuine legal reason why the union can not happen may lodge an objection.

A valid objection must be something recognised in law as prohibiting your ability to marry.  It does not mean that someone who wishes to cause trouble, or who is simply not happy with the idea of your wedding can prevent you getting married.

Banns are usually called on three successive Sundays at our 11am Sung Mass within a three month period before the wedding. It is almost unknown for any objection ever to be made.

A certificate proving that no objection was made must then be given to the priest officiating at the wedding. A standard fee of £45 is charged for the publication of banns and the issuing of a certificate.

Banns must be called in the Church of England parishes in which both bride and groom are resident. If you both live in the same parish, then banns only need to be published in one parish. Banns should only be published at St Barnabas if you live within the boundaries of our parish, which are shown here.

How to apply to have your banns read:

1. Telephone Fr. john on 01273 881761 to make an appointment to arrange the Banns.

2. At the appointment you will need to fill in the Banns form and bring with you the fee of £45 in either cash or cheque made payable to “St. Barnabas Church PCC,”

3. We will then let you know precisely which Sundays your banns will be published on.

4. To pick up the certificate, come to St Barnabas on a Sunday morning to the 11.00 am service on the third Sunday the banns are called, and we will issue the certificate for you. It is then your responsibility to take the certificate to the priest officiating at your wedding.

Share this page